National Youth Leadership Training
Youth often struggle leading their peers. National Youth Leadership Training gives youth the knowledge, skills and confidence to Lead.
NYLT is a premier youth leadership training course for Scouts and Venturers. NYLT offers exciting, action-based program designed to provide youth members of the BSA with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
NYLT Eligibility Requirements
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Recordform parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts must be 13 years of age and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program registration. They must be a first class Scout and have completed introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to LeadershipSkills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation. Unit leaders are asked to complete a survey on the participant’s Scout character and Scout skills so the NYLT staff can better prepare for the course.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW, and what a leader must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership. These learning objectives are integrated with those of Wood Badge, so troops that send Scouts to NYLT and adults to Wood Badge will find they work better together because they've learned similar concepts and leadership skills.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
2020 NYLT Course
Location: Camp Ho Non Wah
|Weekend #1||March 6-8, 2020|
|Weekend #2||March 20-22, 2020|
February 29, 2020 - Final Payment Due